Building careers in public service often includes accepting lower pay for better benefits. UPTE has a strong history of protecting and building on the benefits we receive as part of our overall compensation.
UPTE supports single payer health care that removes insurance companies from the health care delivery system and guarantees access to comprehensive, high quality, and affordable health care for all.
Until we achieve single payer health care, UPTE supports:
• Affordable health care premiums for all types of individuals and families (we have successfully bargained for “caps” on maximum health care premium increases).
• Affordable copayments that encourage plan participants to visit their health care providers when necessary.
• Expanding access to high quality health care in the many communities in which UC employees work and live.
• Access to UC’s world class medical centers.
• Establishing a retiree health care trust fund that would guarantee post-employment health benefits.
• Working with other UC unions to regularly meet with UCOP to obtain information about plans and engage in a dialog about how to provide the best health care benefits for UC employees.
• Researching creative ways to restructure UC health benefits that would provide higher quality and lower cost health care for employees.