Building careers at UC matters to Student Services Professional staff. Our knowledge and skills grow over time and we are better able to support our students and programs with increased experience. A career is built over time and with access to appropriate education, training, experience, and mentorship.
UPTE has successfully bargained for career development opportunities for thousands of UC professional and technical employees. As an example, UPTE’s contract for research professional staff includes an automatic reclassification review after two years in the entry level position.
• Reclassification of positions by providing training for reclassification and posting reclassification tools on our website.
• Guaranteed significant pay increases when staff are reclassified or promoted.
• A meaningful appeals process when reclassification requests are denied.
• Internal staff promotions to higher paying job titles.
• A transparent career path so that jobs in the same series have clear ladders from one level to the next.
• Cross-training so that employees share a knowledge base, increase their job-related skills, and can provide backup as necessary.
• Employer-paid training, including paid time to attend internal and external classes and trainings.